Why It Works: Splitting a Photo

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 15, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

[​IMG]

Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way. So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread if you want to be. 1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love. 2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft! 3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see . 4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently. There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning! *note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favorite little tricks in scrapping is to “split” a photo in to pieces. Digitally “cutting” photos is one of the great things about digiscrapping. You can cut that photo to pieces and no physical damage is done :giggle. So, when I came across this page by @michele hillam, I immediately fell in love:

[​IMG]

This is such a simple trick that can give a great unique look to a layout. When you are using a template that has specific photos spots, you don’t have to be limited by the size and shape of those spots, you can make them work for your photos. You can also use this trick on non-template pages to give a new creative look to your photos. It’s quite easy to do and a great way to give attention to a specific details in a photo. It works really well for landscape and panoramic photos. I was so excited to see some examples of this used for the Combine Two Templates Challenge that I hosted during MOC.

Another way it works really well is in pocket scrapping. You can fill 2, 3, 4 or more spots with a single photo or even a whole pocket page with one big photo, for a really unique look. I do this a lot when I need to fill spaces in a pocket template! I stumbled across a post on Sahlin Studio’s blog all about photos across multiple pockets - http://sahlinstudio.com/pocket-this-project-life-inspiration-across-the-pockets/

And Aaron has a great blog post about it here - Tutorial: Using Over Sized Pics on Your Pocket Pages

If your not sure how to go about it, there are a couple of different ways

Duplicating the photo
    1. Choose the photo you want to use
    2. Place it over one of the photo spots and clip it
    3. Duplicate the photo and drag it over the next photo spot and clip
    4. Repeat for each of the photo spots you want to use
    **You can drag them around so that they fit the way you want, but make sure you have all the photo copies selected before you do**

Merging the layers
    1. Select all the photo spots you want to use
    2. Clear any layer styles
    3. Merge the selected layers
    4. Clip your photo to the new merged layer

Do you ever do this? I’d love to see!! If not, are you going to give it a try? Have you seen another example in the gallery that you love? Please share!!

2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I just did this for an album I'm doing. I don't do this often but it's an easy technique to use to give a different look when there are two photo spots nearly the same size. Adds a bit of tension to the layout.
    Day-1-Dec-7-pm_243LP5025.jpg

3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I love this! Great post, Jan!

I did this one recently... on the bigger side....
    [​IMG]

and then this on the past with my son in the ocean!
    [​IMG]

4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I love the idea of this and the examples, but get all kinds of twitchy when people's faces are cut up or sliced through.
    I will have to think about how to make this work for me.

Harington, bellbird, Ferdy and 3 others like this.
  5. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I did this just recently with this layout.
    [​IMG]
    And this one, too.
    [​IMG]

I guess I do it quite often.

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I love to do this as well.. cool pages everyone!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is my favorite of mine.. both skinnys sketch and split
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    bellbird, JenniferJ, rchansen and 5 others like this.
  7. cookingmylife

I agree, I do not like it when people are cut up, even if it's not the face. Just my preference.

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  8. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Agreed. I only cut up photos of landscapes, buildings etc.

I made those two pages for MOC and Lynn's challenge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here are my three contributions...

From the combined template MOC challenge last month, the large 2 horizontal photos is really one photo.
    [​IMG]

This was a scraplift of mrs2a50 from a September 2016 challenge.
    [​IMG]

For an August 2016 challenge, the "a" and "h" are one photo.
    [​IMG]

@Eyeore and @cookingmylife Be rest assured that no faces were damaged in the making of these layouts. :-)

10. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I LOVE this technique!!

When I went to a girlfriends house to scrap for the very first time about 7 years ago, she did this to a photo and after internally panicing to myself, I looked and studied her layout and LOVED the look! My very first layout (which is still not complete BTW) that night I took one of my daughters professional baby pictures and cut that sucker into thirds, added a photo mat and slapped that sucker to my page. I still do this all these years later.

bellbird, Frumpje, JillW and 3 others like this.
  11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@bbymks5 Anxiety here, especially with a professional baby pic. Ah, the wonders of digital, no real cutting involved.

12. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I made sure I used one that I received a duplicate of! You should have seen the look on my face, hands were shaking, I held my breath and at one point during the cutting process I closed my eyes!

13. IntenseMagic

Ohhh these examples are all so awesome!! I'll admit that I occasionally do people, but it has to be just so or maybe overlapping so that pieces of their bodies aren't missing. I really love all of these examples so far!!

bellbird and mcurtt like this.
  14. IntenseMagic

I found another great example on a pocket page by @KellyM

[​IMG]

bellbird, cfile, KellyM and 1 other person like this.
  15. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Need to learn how to do this in Artisan 4!!

cfile likes this.
  16. cookingmylife

Here's an old one of mine using paislee-nine-photocollagetemplate. Sadly, the cotton candy man is gone and so is the restaurant.

cotton candy man.jpg

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Robyn I would think it works the same in any program... basically just have two squares with a space inbetween.. or place your photo down and on top of the photo put spacers or a two frames that the edges meet in the middle for the faux split.

18. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I tend to do it a lot! :) I love spliting images in multi frames..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My inches have images split between two or more of them!!

[​IMG]

bellbird, wvsandy and IntenseMagic like this.
  19. JenniferJ

JenniferJ Ain't nothing that a Krispy Kreme can't fix

Here's one I did for the February Template Challenge
    [​IMG]

20. IntenseMagic

I am so loving these!! Seriously makes me want to go do a page like this :)