Asking for a friend ...

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by mrs2a50, Jan 4, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't have the 3, but with my Cameo I found that it needed more light depending on where it was on my desk. I open the cover, and shine my phones flashlight on it for more light.

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

good to know ... but my issue right now is that it gets more and more "off" the further it gets to the right side of the paper. it's weird. the mat is still pretty new too.

3. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Silhouette sent me a laundry list of possible fixes. I updated the firmware, updated the software, tried using the Silhouette software instead of PS to create my file, used a different mat, moved things around the page to be even further away from the registration marks, tried using printer settings instead of auto page size settings, tried different paper and tried the flashlight trick. The thing that ended up working was not suggested by Silhouette but was something I found digging around the internet -- changing some packet setting. I have no idea what that does, but it worked! Hopefully that solves it going forward. When it works, I love it!

4. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I'm so sorry to be discouraging to your friend, @mrs2a50 ... I fully recognize it's probably just me... or perhaps my name ( @jenn mccabe ). You also need to know that I don't really have a designated "craft" space, so the set up was always tedious for me. It may be better if I could have it set up all the time. And start from scratch learning it. And buy new mats and blades. And figure out the program. And apparently, per @bestcee , shine a flashlight in it. #whatisthatabout #notgonnahappen #sorryJulie :giggle

[​IMG]

5. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

My scissors are looking better and better ...

Karen and londoncuppa like this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I have to say I do love making sticker sheets with the Print and Cut feature. I actually crave that real "paper in hand" creative time. And I am just so into the planner thing ... it has helped me immensely. The stickers/decorating it (to make it a little extra special/pretty) just make using the planner more fun to me. So much so that I just ordered more sticker sheets despite my current woes ... I will figure out this thing. But it's just hard for me to rave about it at this very moment. Maybe the Cameo is less buggy and its a Portrait thing, like mentioned here? IDK. I do have a dedicated space for it - mine is small and compact and was working just fine for a long time. And when it works it is SO GOOD. So there's that. :)

Gonna set aside some time this weekend for another try. #fingerscrossed

and I really hope it has nothing to do with being a Jenn or a Jen @jenevang - I'm still a Silhouette lover.

MrsGaramer, Karen and bestcee like this.
  7. bestcee

@jenevang Flashlights are amazing things. You never know what they will find! And really, the flashlight was necessary in Utah's dreary winter. Haven't had to use it in Nevada.
    And apparently I need to stay out of this thread, because the Jen Silhouette curse will pass on through the internet! I printed and cut stickers today. The first page? Perfect! No issues. Load the second, and boom. The computer forgot that the Silhouette was plugged in and wouldn't connect. Blah! Luckily, it was an easy turn it off and on, and second page of stickers. But now I'm wary of y'all!
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe, Karen and jenevang like this.
  8. jenevang

LOL. That GIF. #buffyrocks #eventhoughIneveractuallywatchedher :giggle

bestcee and Karen like this.
  9. bestcee

Just for you! I know you love gifs.

10. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

This made me laugh because I never watched her until about a month ago when I decided to watch on Netflix to see what all the hoopla was about. Better late than never?

bestcee likes this.
  11. jenevang

I am a big fan of David Boreanaz... "Bones" guy. Pretty sure he's the bad vampire love interest. #maybeIshouldwatchitafterall

[​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@mrs2a50 Julie, has your "friend" thought about a nice, fresh X-acto blade (and mat) to make intricate cuts? It might go more quickly. IDK. Just thinking out loud. :)

bestcee likes this.
  13. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

@Tree City Sara, my friend has both! Brilliance!

Tree City likes this.
  14. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

I've been using very sharp precision scissors but there are some stickers in the planner packs that don't print as well for me so I can't see their edges. I've been lamenting about this for so long my mom just bought me a curio for my birthday. I've been reading about the differences and now I'm starting to freak out that I should have asked for the cameo. I will say, I have had a cricut FOREVER and I've used that thing so much for all kinds of stuff. I loved it until they brought out the stuff you could do with the curio (metal etching and faux letterpress).

15. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

I have the Cricut explore air, but I haven't tried the print and cut thing. It does do that, though... It is awesome on the vinyl and on the cardstock. I am really pleased with the simplicity of use so far...

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

16. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I have owned just about every Cricut machine there was minus the Create and any of the Explore versions, I also owned a Silhouette Cameo and currently own a Sizzix eClips2.

If she would like to sell printable stickers and provide a cut file to go along with the stickers to go with the Sizzix eClips2 and the ecal2 software as she is able to save the cut file she has created as .svg files, which would allow her to reach more customers with other die cutting machines. The ecal2 software is just like Sure Cuts a Lot. The eClips2 is a workhorse! It's not made out of plastic like the Silhouette machines are; however the cutting mats and blades will need to be ordered online, I order from Amazon. She can also purchase Sure Cuts a Lot or Make the Cut if she doesn't want to use the ecal2.

If she goes with the Silhouette products, she will need to upgrade the software as the free version does not allow you to cut .svg files; when I had my Cameo I purchased the Designer Edition from SVG Tools, it was the least expensive and I received a $10.00 gift certificate to SVG Cuts. However, Designer Edition does not allow you to save files in .svg format. She can purchase Sure Cuts a Lot or Make the Cut to use with the Silhouette machines. Their machines are mostly plastic, loud and cut slower than the eClips2. Cutting mats and blades can be purchased at the big box stores. Check Hobby Lobby, when I owned the Cameo you could use their 40% off coupons on the accessories, just not the machine; Michael's and JoAnn's do not allow the use of coupons, unless that has changed.

Due to the business practices that I have seen and dealt with on a personal level, and continue to see with Provo Craft who makes the Cricut machines, I no longer support them and cannot and will not recommend them. Since I have nothing nice to say about them I will leave it at that.

17. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

How is your friend? Is she thawed out and free of ice yet?

18. bestcee

@bbymks5 I never meet anyone who knows what an eClips is! I went from cricut to the eClips 1, and now have added a silhouette Cameo.
    (I'm totally with you on PC).

bbymks5 likes this.
  19. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I LOVE my eclips2!! By far the best machine I have owned!

bestcee likes this.