Silhouette woes

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by RebeccaH, Mar 27, 2024.

1. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Oh my goodness, you guys! I have been fighting with my Silhouette Portrait for 2 straight days. The thing REFUSES to read registration lines. I've run the calibration, and it's dead on, but then when I print, and cut it's not even close. Has anyone else ever run into this and have some amazing insight you would be willing to share?

2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I’ve never had success with print and cut so I’ll be following along for any advice! So sorry!

RebeccaH likes this.
  3. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

Ohhh and this is why I started using Scan 'N Cut so I'm no help either. I know we have some ladies here that has used this so I'm hoping they will chime in!

RebeccaH likes this.
  4. RebeccaH

yeah, it's always been a little quirky - like I've always had to bump the trace lines down and over one. But this is like 1/4" off or more in places. It's bonkers! I don't get why the calibration cuts are dead-on right down the center in both directions. I want to drop kick this thing so hard! LOL

5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@RebeccaH - not sure if this will help but Elif has some silhouette troubleshooting ideas here that you might want to try.

RebeccaH and umyesh like this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I sometimes have to add more light. Like a light directly over the machine and have the front open. I'm not sure if it's my machine or what. Oh, and once I had to reset the paper because somehow it thought I was using euro size instead of American.

umyesh likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Do you have anything printed close to the registration marks? If you do, you can make the "keep out" area smaller. There is a slider that you can adjust those widths and sometimes that helps too. I'm not in front of my machine/software right now so I can't remember what the slider is called.

Otherwise, like Courtney mentioned I sometimes have to turn the flashlight on with my phone and give it some more light. Is your paper shiny by any chance? I definitely have had it get mad with super shiny sticker paper on occasion and then cut WAY off. Also, sometimes when I have trouble getting it to read the registration marks, I'll pull the matt out and scoot it over slightly... usually towards the right side of the machine a little bit and for some dumb reason, that will help sometimes. I know how maddening it can be when things used to work fine and then just don't. I hope some of these ideas might help! I'll keep thinking today about other things I've tried over the years.

8. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Honestly this happens all the time. If the software works, the machine doesn't, if the machine works the software doesn't. I love the concept of it and have become addicted to the clean nice cut lines when I get them. I make stickers for my mom and sister to put on their packages. But some days it just isn't worth it. This happened to me recently. I had to walk away. When I came back later, I adjusted the light with a USB light I have which honestly I can do a dozen times but that time it worked. It's frustrating and upsetting that it performs so badly.

RebeccaH likes this.
  9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I hate to even weigh in :lol2 because I don't want to jinx myself (mine has been cooperating lately). I agree with the others that the cutting machines can be infuriating when they don't work. I have the Cameo 3 and sometimes it just will not read the registration marks and sometimes it just messes up. It's always a mystery as to why. I have tinkered with larger and smaller registration marks, saving as png instead of jpg (or the reverse), making sure I had the most recent version of the software and firmware, and even changing some complicated setting back in the day that was like the packet size or something that (which actually worked from time to time).

RebeccaH and Karen like this.
  10. RebeccaH

Yeah, I'm still at a loss. I have done everything I can find to try. It THINKS it is registering properly. When I callibrate, the squares and lines are all lining up. But when it cuts, it's off by at least 1/2 an inch. It feels hopeless.

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ugh! I'm so sorry. Have you tried kicking it? :giggle I wonder if asking customer service at Silhouette would help? It sure sounds like it's not working properly, but maybe they have seen that happen before and would know why it's doing what it's doing?

12. RebeccaH

Yeah, I'm thinking it may come to that! I just have to find a day when I have time to chat with customer service. That never seems to be a quick process.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  13. er_creates

er_creates Pollywog

I switched to scan and cut because of this too. Scan and cut also has its issues. Basically I throw myself a little party anytime I can actually print and cut because it feels like I have won the lottery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bellbird and Karen like this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i feel like i should be able to understand and sympathise with your problem @RebeccaH but i'm too new to using Silhouette to even know about registration lines (i'm guessing it's what helps you cut like a 'stroke' around the image you'e already printed to get that diecut look? I haven't attempted that yet - when i've printed digi stuff, i've just used scissors or a basic old-school punch to cut it out). One day I'll learn that and give it a go on the Cameo 4 but doing hybrid seems to just remind me why i went digi in the first place #WhoWantsToSpendCraftTimeCleaningUp?

Karen likes this.
  15. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I hope you were able to work things out with your silhouette

[​IMG]

16. .Alesen.

.Alesen. Active Member