Journaling- I still suck at it!

Discussion in 'Journaling and Storytelling' started by FarrahJobling, Oct 29, 2016.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

As it gets closer to the end of the year, I realize that my goal of being better at journaling has not worked out so well for me. But...there's still hope right? I saw this quote and found if very motivational- Hope it helps you too! =)

[​IMG]14463043_10153642459321572_8562714485486235094_n by farrahj, on Flickr

QuiltyMom, n33, kirstiegai and 4 others like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Yeah, I had to get comfortable with the idea that I can't possibly write about everything. A little bit (especially written about well as suggested in your quote) is better than nothing!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

write it to a friend! or invisible person?
    or pull the photo you want to scrap and show it to one of your kidlets, ask them about it?

I am long winded in mouth and typing...lol
    journaling is my favorite part...eek

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

For me, some layouts don't need explanation. I have the photo, add the date and name/age and location, and then I let the word art or word strips speak for me.

Then other times, I have to tell a story.

It took me a long to get over my guilt for not having a long story for every photo. But I'm there, and it's freeing and I've found I actually journal more! LOL

Love that advice, @FarrahJobling ! Gonna have to try it out!

LoveItScrapIt and MrsPeel like this.
  5. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Great quote Farrah. I have been better at putting journaling on there. I always say I'll go back and add more later but at least I have put the simple facts of what was happening. Even those simple facts are growing some for me. Keep up the good work. Give yourself credit for what you are doing.

6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Thanks for sharing. Great quote, great advice. I journal daily, have been doing it digitally since January 2013. And if I'm on a vacation, I write it all down. But too often, the mundane sets in and each day sounds like the next..

7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I often write "we had fun" or "we enjoyed ourselves", but rarely do I think to say why. If I included that, it would make the journalling more interesting.

n33, LoveItScrapIt and FarrahJobling like this.
  8. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

I suck at it too. I never know what to write, and I feel like when I do write something it sounds weird. Then I always think "I wrote way too much, or not nearly enough." I'm happy just putting the date on the page, and a brief description if need be.

9. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

A lot of my photos of the grandchildren and grand-nieces are given to me so I don't really know the full story behind the photo. So in most instances I will scrap the photo in the way it 'speaks' to me, using wordart. For those photos that I have taken I will journal a bit, just enough to explain or the tell the story behind it but I confess that I just love doing the ARTY bit!! :giggle

10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I like to journal the words I would have said if you were looking at a photo and I was speaking over your shoulder about that day/event etc.

11. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

What do you want to journal? About the facts of the photo? About how you felt? About how your kids felt? Figure out *what* you want to say before you tackle *how* to say it. :)

QuiltyMom and FarrahJobling like this.
  12. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Journaling is my very favorite part! I am an okay photog & an okay scrapper so I need my journaling to make the page shine AND make it more 'me.'

I focus on the story behind the story -- what does someone need to know abt this page that is not apparent in the photos? What happened just before or just after the photo was taken that will add meaningful context to the reason why this photo or event or memory is important? Why am I scrapping this aside from it's cute/it's fun/it needed to be included in the chronology of the year?

Any journaling is better than no journaling, and your kids/family/friends won't care if you are a terrible speller or grammarian. They will remember WHAT you said not HOW you said it.

FarrahJobling and bestcee like this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm like you, the journaling is the hardest part for me and I struggle with it too. I will be watching this thread for tips.

14. kendrawalter

kendrawalter Well-Known Member

I just convinced my boyfriend to write the journaling for one of my pages. I used the line "It'd be nice to have your voice in these books too.." I think I have just found my new secret weapon! :giggle

15. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

I try to write the story of the photo when it has one... And, I generally address the journalling to the folks in the picture. So, if it's a photo of my daughter, I write directly to her... You did this, you went here, you wanted to try... etc. But, I'm windy and sometimes I think I write too much journalling on my pages, lol...

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

FarrahJobling and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  16. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I'm a writer by nature. I love to write it all out. So journaling is easy for me.

Great tips for journaling. Another one, maybe bullet points would help at least get something down. I also journal to the people in the photos, so to my daughter etc...

FarrahJobling likes this.
  17. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

I am also a writer by nature and this is probably the one thing that is hardest for me most in digi scrapping. I love clean pages (not that I'm good at them haha) and when I paper scrap I find myself hiding my thoughts in envelopes and behind pictures. The longer I scrap the more I realize that, once I'm gone, my stories will live on in my pages (good or bad). I want people to read the good, bad, ugly and fantastic and have those memories forever. I've been incorporating that into my digi scrap pages now.

18. n33

n33 Well-Known Member

Does anyone use the collect phone ap? I could see it as a great a format to jot daily notes for future journaling pages. Love it to document my day/month/year. I use it for keeping track of my 52 hike challenge (.com). An app to keep up with daily achievements or "firsts" you or your family do/go. When I downloaded it, it was free. There might be a small fee for it now.

Thanks for the inspiration Farrah.

19. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

Exactly! I started scrapbooking because I wanted to tell the story behind the photos, because many times, although the photos can tell the story, they don't tell the whole story, like what the people in the photo felt or how you felt as you took the photo. Normally, I write as I would be speaking to my son. Here's an example. I could have left the journaling off, but I wanted to tell the story behind his last day of middle school:
    [​IMG]

Just start little by little. You can do it!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  20. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm what you might call a practical journaler. Names, dates, places, times, what happened. I've never, ever been a daily journaling type. I've never enjoyed writing. I mostly don't want most of what I may write there for someone to read down the road. I figured what is most important is what happened.